Thursday, February 7, 2013

Taking Care of Ourselves and Our Family

This week has been full of all-night writing sessions.  I couldn't do it if my husband wasn't the most supportive guy on the planet.  But, if you're like me, a few time management coping strategies are helpful.  Here is a list of time-management suggestions:
  • Do more than one task at a time
  • Have a Plan B
  • Say "No" to additional time demands
  • Break large jobs down into smaller jobs
  • Make a list of your priorities
  • Ask your family to help, even young members of the family can and like to help
  • Budget your time so that you don't feel overwhelmed
  • Leave work in the workplace, don't bring it home (when you are a stay-at-home mom, the lines become blurred, but you need time away from housework too)
  • Make 'to-do' lists
Use technology to lighten the load--when I realized that I didn't have to iron everything, my world got better!  My favorite way to iron is to throw it back in the dryer for a few minutes.  My grandmother still irons sheets/pillowcases/handkerchiefs!


Here is a list of strategies for taking care of yourself:
  • Give yourself permission to be a less-than-perfect housekeeper
  • Allow special time for each child
  • Eat nutritionally balanced meals
  • Engage in family activities
  • Spend time together and make it count
  • Interact with your spouse (this benefits both of you)
  • Take time for yourself to do something you enjoy
  • Engage in a hobby
  • Attend social, religious, group meetings
  • Exercise

No comments:

Post a Comment